View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames doused by Sharks
10/8/1991 21.48 PST

It only took 3 games, but the San Jose Sharks got their first win of the season with a 4-3 nail bitter against the Flames.

Pugilist Jeff Odgers’ two goals earned him the first star for his team’s inaugural win, and the Spy Hill Saskatchewan native couldn’t have been happier. “Scoring both goals in my first game of the year, in the first period was really something. It all happened so fast, we got a turnover and the puck was on and then off my stick in a matter of seconds (for both goals).”

Odgers (pictured) also got into a scrap in the first period, fighting fellow tough guy Gary Roberts. “Yeah, I was pretty tired that first intermission” noted Odgers.

The Sharks got off to a comfortable 4-1 lead before the Flames began to climb back. Head Coach Fyvie was all nerves behind the bench. “Their team is so dangerous. We were all clock watching in the final half of the third. Thankfully (Healy) made some big saves for us at the end the boys got us our first win of the year”.

Adding to Odgers’ two goals was Wayne Presley with one of his own at 2.12 in the third, and Stephane Richer notching his second of the year at 19.55 in the second period from a nice feed from line-mate Stephan Lebeau. Calgary’s Al MacInnis scored his first of the year from the blue line at 15.08 of the first, and scored again later at 9.10 of the 3rd for his second of the year. Joe Nieuwendyk made it close with his first of the year at 10.59 of the 3rd to pull the Flames to within one.

The Flames outshot the Sharks 39-15 making Glenn Healy’s 36 save performance a highlight. “The guys let me see the puck all night and were close by to clear all my rebounds.” Said the sweaty netminder.

Calgary went 0 for 5 on the powerplay, whereas the Sharks shot blanks on their 4 opportunities with the man advantage making the game a penalty-killing clinic.

Playing their first game of the season, were goal scorer Jeff Odgers and young Swedish defenseman Peter Popovic who took over Scott Niedermayer's spot on the 3rd pairing.

All in all it was a great game at the Cow Palace for all in attendance and for the Sharks’ coaching staff, the tactical adjustments from the early losses seemed to have paid off.

Calgary takes tomorrow off and then continues their California road swing to play the Kings in Los Angeles on the 10th. San Jose stays home and faces Teemu Selanne and the Winnipeg Jets, also on the 10th.
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-10-2018 at 04:39 PM.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote