View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
gmo
Hall Of Famer

The points by bwburke94 were spot-on. I knew if would not be easy, but it turned into even more of a bear than I was expecting. Though I had hoped to do some splitting of some of the ostenible 4-game interdivision series into pairs of 2-game series in order to maintain a two-series-per-week scheme, that was making the path to a solution really narrow. So I ended up just treating every series as a 4-day block. The gross number of offdays because of the 3-game division series falling into those blocks is fairly close to what you get in current MLB. The "bye" series when (at least) one of the teams cannot be matched up at a given time then add to that. Every teams has 4 such instance across the season. Because of the necessities of matchups layout (at least how I did them), there are three periods with three teams on "bye" rather than only one.

The distribution of the offdays is "cluppy", and not just because of the byes. What I did was break down the intradivision and interdivision matchups each into 3 sets. Each intradivision set is ten 4-day blocks long, and each interdivision is six 4-day blocks long. Intradivision does include one interdivision matchup among the rest intradivision plus the one team on bye. The season is laid out alternating set - interdivision, intradivision, inter, intra, inter, and finally intra. Since all the interdivision matchups are 4-game series, they all completely fill each 4-day block, so each interdivision set of matchups have no offdays at all except for those teams that get byes during the set. With those spans plus carryover into intradivision sets and playing 4-game seris also in those, the number of consecutive days with games ranges from 24 to 39, well beyond the current MLB limit of 20. On the other hand offdays are more frequent outside of those long streaks.