Thread: Scouting
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz1960 View Post
Yeah. Well, I’m still having issues, though it’s only half as problematic as before. The problem now centres around those given assignments to scout the NCAA and those given assignments to scout provincial junior leagues; the durations averaging eights weeks with reports requested at the end of the assignment. I’ve lowered minimum levels for ability and potential to 1.0 on both and have only checked for those that are ‘Draft Eligible.’ The game maintains the allotted assignments for about a week (Game-Time, not real time). Then I get a ‘Scouting Report’ with nothing in it. And upon checking out my scouting assignments, these scouts now have no assignments.

The only thing I can think is happening is I’m expecting the AI to be more advanced than it actually is designed. For instance, I have a scout named Larry Neville. Under his profile, within the ‘Scouting Rating’ box, he has Wisconsin listed after ‘Scouting Region.’ I’m giving the assignments based on these ‘Scouting Regions,’ assuming the AI will know which NCAA teams play in the state of Wisconsin. I would be happy to send them to check out individual schools, but aside fro obvious institutions – ie. Boston Collage – I really have no idea where the majority of these schools are located. For instance, where is Bowling Green? Calgary’s Inglewood district has a bowling green, but that is for the sport of lawn bowling. And there is no listing as to which state any school resides. And the same issues apply to the provincial junior leagues.

And, I maybe giving these ‘Scouting Region’ listing too much significance. I don’t know how much these listings affect the scout’s abilities. These ‘regions’ ae a bit confusing. Some scouts have listing which are geographical, others based on leagues and yet others have no listing. Furthermore, some of the geographic listings don’t have significant leagues to scout, for instance the Northwest Territories and South Dakota. So I give them assignments to lesser leagues. For instance, for a good scout with a scouting territory in NWT, I gave him an assignment to scout ‘midget’ teams. Now midgets are not going to be draft eligible for two to three years, so I leave those boxes unchecked, assuming the reports will remain in the system to be applied to the player if he advances to the juniors. But these assignments are also being bounced.

So, that is the situation as it stands at the moment ... hope you can help.
It's not always easy to know where Universities in the States are, but more (if what I'm reading is correct), you're making Scouting harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Scouts can scout anywhere, but if they are from the region they will Scout better and more efficiently. What you need to decide is where you want to (A) hit leagues, or (B) hit regions.

For instance, if you have a Scout in Minnesota, you can see what Leagues he'd be best in as they are Greened. Same goes for location. Being that Minnesota has a nice mix of NCAA, USHL, and Major League talent, maybe you instead have him Scout the whole province to find different players, rather than have him directed just as say the NCAA where maybe he is useful some of the time, but not as useful as others.

I actually went over this in the Last Kraken episode about what I look for in Scouts. Typically when I'm looking over large areas, (whether that be NCAA, ECHL, USHL, AHL, NHL, etc), I'm targeting Scouts who can Scout all over North America (yes, there is a geography region for that). Those guys are going to be most effective at that.

(Also Bowling Green is in Ohio).

Last edited by Adam B; 01-07-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote