View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #30
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxford View Post
Just wonder if Markus would say 'yay' or 'nay' to that whole area. I think most of my 'large-scale' database changes have been listed already (eg, merging players.dat and coaches.dat). If making changes to the structure will cause issues like the 6.5>2007 with CATO import problem then I won't make them.
Well, here's a point and counterpoint:

On the one hand, there is no question that changing the underlying database generally has a wider impact on saved games and conversion than, say, adding a new filter option. As such, I'd expect such requests to meet with stiff resistance. I suspect that such changes would only go through if they offered obvious, measurable improvements and didn't cause save game or compatibility problems. If it's just "would be nice for those of us who fiddle with the back end," I suspect it's not likely to happen. The benefits need to outweigh the risk, and they also need to outweigh the time Markus would spend on it. (Value Over Replacement Feature??)

On the other hand, I can think of at least several cases last year where beta team members pestered the ever-loving heck out of Markus until he implemented some database-level changes, one of which really dramatically reduced the memory use of the program. So, it DOES happen.