View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
gskweres9
Major Leagues

"Ted Williams speaking."

"Hello Ted, this is Branch Rickey calling."

"Branch? What are you calling me for?" Williams replied.

"I'm the President of the Continental League for Professional Baseball Clubs, and I'm calling to see if you would have interest in playing in my league for one of my teams," Rickey replied.

"Branch...I retired less than a couple months ago."

It was true. The 41 year-old had retired just months earlier at the end of the 1960 season, and it was a respectable season at that. He hit .284 with 34 HR and 86 RBIs in only 115 games played. Branch Rickey knew he had more in the tank.

"I know that Ted, but you played well last year, and I know you have more in the tank. I'm pretty sure you know that you have more in the tank too. Why did you call it quits?"

"It was just time," Williams replied.

"Ted, I know you want to win, and you will have a chance to do that in my league."

Branch Rickey hit the nail right on the head. The Red Sox had finished 77-77, 16GB of the AL Pennant. Boston most recently won the pennant in 1946, and hadn't won a title since 1918.

"It isn't just that, Branch. I'm 41 years-old," Williams said timidly.

"C'mon Ted. You know it hurts that you haven't won a title of any sort. You can fill that void in the Continental League. Players will be dying to come play with you, and you won't be playing for a team that's cursed. Your team will have just as much of a chance of winning as any team. There's no Yankees in this league."

"What does winning a title in your league even mean? It's new. It means nothing."

"It means you will be the beginning of history. This league will be successful, and you will be a part of it's folklore," Ricky replied.

Ted then asked, "Ok...so what are my options?"

"Our team in Buffalo is interested in bringing you in. They'd absolutely love to have you."

Ted pondered the question for a little while. He then asked, "what does the money look like?"

"They're willing to pay you $200,000," Rickey said flatly.

That number really got Ted's attention.

"$200,000? The highest paid player in the MLB makes $190,000," Ted said.

"Well...I didn't stutter did I?"

"No sir...you didn't."

"So Ted, how does one more year of baseball sound."

"I'm in."

Just like that, Branch Rickey completed his second Hail Mary. Getting Jackie Robinson to come play was one thing, but getting Ted Williams to come play was another. Williams played at an all-star caliber level just the year prior, and he would bring not just star power, but talent.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 1.25.26 PM.png
Views: 1458
Size:  171.6 KB
gskweres9 is offline   Reply With Quote