View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDodgers View Post
to be honest: I don't understand. So, pretty hard.
Defining when you cross the line into tanking as opposed to experimenting is not always something that's clear, I'll grant you. Former Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, speaking about what constituted obscenity, said it best: "I can't tell you what it is, but I sure as hell know it when I see it." Tanking is any behavior that is designed to make you lose. You aren't tanking if you can't/don't afford better players. If you have 25 perfects on the roster and are starting 25 irons, you're tanking. Why are basic ethical concepts so hard to understand?

Regarding your 5 points:

1. Unclear, but if you realize that a strategy is going to be destructive, you'll need to make an ethical decision. If you deliberately choose to lose, yeah, it's tanking. I can't, as an observer, know what's in your heart. If you're running a team where David Ortiz is your fastest guy and you set baserunning and base stealing to the max (as an example), yeah...you're tanking. On the other hand, that same strategy when Ozzie Smith is your slowpoke might make sense. It's about judgement and ethics, kid.

2. Please, you aren't stupid. Do the rest of us a favor and assume we aren't either. This is tanking. Doing that for one game might be excusable, if it's early. Doing it for a season...yeah, tanking.

3. If I understand you correctly, yeah...tanking.

4. You CAN force position players to pitch, as far as I know. Just because you CAN do something does not mean it isn't tanking. Position players pitching (except for a handful of genuine 2 way players) is clearly tanking.

5. Again, doing it for a single game, or on occasion to train a player is acceptable. I've made Ozzie Smith into a fearsome fielding third baseman. Playing Khris Davis at catcher...that's tanking—he can barely throw in the outfield. It's a judgement call, and requires only a bit of common sense.

What you do as a player affects every team in your league. You may, by tanking, send an undeserving team to the playoffs. You WILL allow teams in your division to gain PP they are not entitled to, which not only affects your league, but all the future leagues these teams end up in. You afford the undeserving a competitive advantage when you tank, and that's cheating. You're also violating the Terms of Service agreement...which you accepted when you licensed the game.

If I come off sounding overly moralistic or hostile, I apologize for the tone. Tankers irritate the **** out of me. I was raised in the Vince Lombardi school of thinking. There is NEVER a reason to consider losing an acceptable outcome, and to embrace it by tanking is beneath contempt. You may consider me an anachronistic Neanderthal for thinking that way, as is your right, but that's how I was raised. ALWAYS do your best. ALWAYS try to succeed.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote