View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Multiverse Baseball

This isnt going to be a Dynasty Report style thread but I will use this as a way to write about my current baseball world. Ill outline the different leagues, give some of the history and do some writeups on the various stories that have occured. To start Ill give an outline of the world.

This started as an idea back in ootp 18, that I abandoned but still had some of the pieces lying about. The idea was to create the world_defaults.xml from scratch, based on places from fiction and start a baseball league based on these fictional locations. I broke it down that each country would be a fictional world/universe and the cities would be locations in that world. For example Star Wars is a country and the planets from the Star Wars galaxy are the cities. Westeros is another country and the various towns/cities/castles are the cities in the country. I started with 18 countries, later adding Kobol and the Wasteland (Mad Max) to bring the total to 20. I have also updated some of the countries to add new cities. I have a list of potential fictional places and every now and again add them to the xml and update the world.

There are a 5 countries not based on a single piece of fiction but instead combine individual places from a common medium. For example, Teilifis (tv in Irish) groups various towns and cities from tv shows (Greendale, Riverdale, Hawkins etc..). The others are Scannan (movies), Leabhar (books), Cluichi (games) and General (real places used in fiction).
The full list of nations can be seen in the image below.

The League/World started in the year 3000. I wanted it to be completely separate from any kind of real world. I initially wanted to set it in the year 5000 but OOTP has the limitation of a maximum year of 3000, so 3000 it was. Since then the world has played through 37 years and has evolved along with it. New leagues have been added, existing leagues have expanded and international tournaments have been started. A brief outline of the history is below. And the full league and tournament list is alongside it.

The Super League and Pro League are the major leagues with promotion/relegation. There is a reserves league and an U21 league for the minors. The Junior League is a collegiate style competition for undrafted players. The Galactic, Bethesda and Comic league are independent leagues. There are two layers of international tournaments. The Print, Screen and Controller Cups are regional tournaments that are played between a set number of teams, every four years. The top teams of each tournament qualify for the 8 team Multiverse Baseball Classic which takes place two years later.

Some technical details of the world. Finances were based around the million dollar contract. This meant that only the absolute top players would have a contract over a million dollars. I just liked the idea of a nice round number. Most schedules play one three game series each week, a schedule I have been playing in OOTP over the last few versions and have really grown to enjoy. I always use DH in every league, again just because I like it.