View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

no it really doesn't. this is why the 'take a pitch' exploit works so well, because there's virtually no negative impact from waiting until 2 strikes to swing at a pitch in ootp. (i wish it did, i always thoguht it 'threw pitches' beacuse it's the same logic as averaging it out, but just re-running that bit of code after each result of a pitch -- nope, just averaged out. which makes alot of playing games out asthetic in nature, lol)

i think they've attempted to hinder it a bit. i recall a note about it in a long past changelog, but could be wrong. it still works wonders.

basically you'll win a ~normal % the first two games of any 3+ series against 1 team, then absolutely increase %s to win the third+ game with a blown out bullpen.

may have reduced effect in playoff contexts, but can still help a bit.

this is possible because the seed for 'success' doesn't get re-rolled after a pitch is thrown during a PA. no matter the count, it's still that same random seed, which determines outcome from the very beginning of the PA.

if you crash and restore, it doesn't renew the seed, or it didn't fairly recently, so you can verify this.

you won't find a situations where it's a guarnateed 'anything', but you'll see that some AB are basically high-% extra base or hr. you'll find some that are guaranteed outs except for the ~1/50 balls in play errors that will occur (based on league fielding pct, if not modern, high frequency for example).

do some things matter per pitch? for sure. if you play different defense it will change the %s one way or another. the engine doesn't really think about pitch or location... that's all averaged out. so, applying other stuff per pitch gets a little "gamey" as some on the forums would say.

e.g. it doesn't even consider that playing a shift requires to pitch accordingly to that side of the plate. or, whether a FB or CB is thrown when someone tries to steal etc etc...

so, some stuff can be applied between pitches of same PA and have a real effect, but it'll be limited by how the major portions of a PA is calculated.

you get that certain "low enough" seed and it really doesn't matter if you bunt, sacrifice or take a pitch until strikeout, because only an error is going to save that PA. and, it doesn't matter if it is the 1st pitch or the 5th.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-10-2019 at 10:04 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote