View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #45
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
It's fun reading about guys that are dominating your league(s) that have dominated the various incarnations of my HRD leagues over the years. Guys like Mickey Mantle, Rick Monday, Bobby Thomson, Gary Sheffield, and Dick Allen. All were really good RL players, but it's fun to put their names in an HRD blender and see what comes out on the other side. Two questions: Who's the Buffalo backup second baseman who hit the walk-off, series winning HR in Game 4 in his only at-bat of the series against the Mad Hatters? Who's the Los Angeles Kangaroos' shortstop who led all hitters with a .455 average in the Division Series against the Miami Flamingos (love the franchise nicknames by the way - how did you come up with them?)? Not trying to be a pedant or anything, just curious.
Thanks for reading so closely, and I fixed it above. The backup Buffalo second baseman is the immortal Alex Kampouris (infielder from the 1930s-early 40s). The Los Angeles shortstop is Simon Nicholls (A's shortstop from the early 1900s). Nicholls has had a terrific career so far in my league - career average of .339 with a 115 OPS+ and 160 steals through four seasons. He's been even better in the postseason, with a .368 career average, a 138 OPS+ in 337 postseason at bats plus 25 steals, and was World Series MVP in the inaugural season.

No real rhyme or reason to the team nicknames- came up with them on a long layover. Some are locally appropriate animals (El Paso Armadillos, Miami Flamingos) or alliterative animals (Anaheim Antelopes), a few are takeoffs on other sports teams (Baltimore Robins), several deal with local industries/ attractions (San Diego Zookeepers, Dallas Wildcatters, Washington Ambassadors), and a few deal with local history (Detroit Purple Gang). And some, like the Kangaroos, are simply mascot-worthy animals.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote