View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #58
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1926-27 NHL Regular Season

It’s gonna be a long season for the Rangers. They really don’t have much talent at all. The Maroons are pretty bad, and dominated. Montreal does have Joe Primeau though, who made his NHL debut, with a 2 assist night.

The Blackhawks are in the same boat as the Rangers. Little to no talent, and will be overmatched in just about every game. Dutch Gainor and Marty Barry are their best players, but I’d say they would be third line guys on good teams.

The Cougars are in a much better position to compete. Stars Lorne Chabot and King Clancy are difference makers. I don’t know how good they can be, but they have a chance every night.

Just above, about the NY Rangers first game, I said, and I quote “The Maroons are pretty bad, and dominated.” Well, its new years day, and here’s how the Maroons are doing...

So ya, I’m an idiot. I obviously have no clue what I'm looking at! The Maroons are crushing it. Joe Primeau, Hooley Smith, Ching Johnson and Butch Keeling are finding this NHL thing pretty easy. 22 year old goalie Charlie Gardiner already has 3 shutouts! The Maroons are killing it. I couldn't have been more wrong!

One thing about the standings here on New Years Day. The elite in the league clearly play in the Canadian Division. Last place there has more points then first place in the American Division!

Interesting move by the St. Pats

In what appears to be an effort to get younger, Toronto deals 31 year old Jack Adams to Ottawa, who trails Toronto by 5 points in the standings. Adams has spent his entire career, 10 years in Toronto. He recorded 241 points in 243 games, including 16 points this season. Adams is a very reliable 2nd line guy. The Pats don’t get much back. Red Green had a nice season in 1925, but he’s spent all year in the minors. Toronto is competing for a Cup. Weird they would do this…

Well, we reached Feb 14th, 1927, which is the day Conn Smythe became the owner of the Toronto St. Pats. He should be changing the team name to the Maple Leafs right about now. Nope, the game didn’t change it, so I will. The Toronto St. Pats have changed their name to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Here is their new logo and uniform!

The whole Canadian division is pretty much better then the whole American division. That’s to be expected though, as those teams are much more established. Here are the final standings.

Toronto goalie John Ross Roach has exploded into one of hockey’s best goalies. He spent most of his career in Hamilton, bouncing up and down between the minors and the NHL. Hamilton never really gave him a shot. Toronto picked him up in a minor trade during the summer of 24, and he's been their goalie ever since. He’s the odds on favourite now to win the first ever Vezina Trophy!

Roach

Jack Adams didn't have much of an impact in Ottawa. In 19 games, he recorded just a single goal, plus 7 assists. He was still playing 19 minutes a game, so that pairing just didn't work very well.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote