View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #57
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1926 NHL Offseason

Toronto’s Nels Stewart wins his 2nd straight Hart Trophy. The 23 year old gave the St. Pats 53 points in 36 games, getting an average game rating of 87! That’s pretty good. He’s a franchise player. For any stats guys out there, her is a look at his 1925/26 season.

Again, I missed the all-star selection. Probably because I was pre occupied with the lack of a Stanley Cup! Here are my selections.

G Lorne Chabot, MON
D Hap Day, OTT
D Buck Boucher, NYA
LW Aurel Joliat, NYA
C Nels Stewart, TOR
RW Babe Dye, MON

A lot of changes in the world of hockey.

Two things. First, the NHL expanded by 3 teams. That doesn't mention the New York Rangers, who are now in the game. Second, the St. Pats didn’t actually change to the Maple Leafs until the middle of the upcoming season. In game, it still says St. Pats. I’m not sure how the game will handle this. I will refer to them as the St. Pats until it changes in game, or until next season.

Oops, forgot to mention the NY Americans have also changed their uniforms. I think they look pretty good in game. Here they are...

The league is now divided into two divisions. The American division and the Canadian division. Here are the new divisions.

I have decided to introduce two new awards this year. The Vezina Trophy and the Lady Byng Trophy. The Vezina will be awarded to the leagues best goalie. It’s named after former Montreal Canadien Georges Vezina. The Lady Byng will be awarded to the player who exhibits outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct throughout the season.

Lady Byng and Vezina Trophys

Just days before the draft, expansion Detroit finds itself a goalie!

Chabot is coming off his first season as a starter, which he led the league in Wins, Save Pct, and Goals against average. He had a monster season for the Habs. Montreal has George Hainsworth, and Tiny Thompson, who I talked about during the season. There is no need for 3 goalies of that caliber. Montreal gets the 2nd overall pick in the draft. Seems like a deal that makes sense for both teams.

This isn’t a good draft. Cecil Dillon doesn’t look like the kind of guy you want to get first overall. As an expansion team, Dillon will play and get a chance to produce, but he’s not a guy you build your franchise around. Detroit now looks like they made a good moving dealing #2 for Lorne Chabot.

Apparently, the NHL rights to King Clancy, Eddie Shore, and Babe Siebert all expired, as they became free to sign anywhere they wanted. King Clancy joined Detroit with the rest of his teammates, as they were purchased when the PCHL folded.

Clancy begins his NHL career in Detroit.

Siebert signed with the team who drafted him, Ottawa. Eddie Shore joined the Boston Bruins.

Siebert and Shore
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote