View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #52
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

In terms of customized playoffs, I've been working on a system originally intended for OOTP, but one that ought to be adaptable to FHM (and BTS for that matter).

I deliberately designed the system to be able to recreate as many real-world playoff formats as possible, be they hockey, baseball, football, basketball, or other. Want a round-robin for some of the playoffs? That could be done in the system I envision. Want a double-elimination type of playoffs? It'd be doable. And that's just scratching the surface. (Even the sometimes funky ECHL playoff formats of the past could be duplicated.)

Now, it must be said, it is more of an 'advanced' user feature, but from my (fairly extensive) thinking on the subject, to get true playoff customization requires going that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
The only thing I want people to understand is that fictional play is something only a very minor group of people uses. They are important to us and we will add to that mode with every new version but we have only limited resources and of course we have to use the majority of time for stuff that the majority of user wants.
I have often said the following in regards to OOTP, and I think it applies here as well: there is a considerable amount of crossover in terms features in fictional, current-day, and historical play. That is, features added for historical can also easily be of benefit to fictional play; features added for fictional play can be of benefit to current-day and historical play; and so forth. It isn't necessarily either-or.

(I'm still much more of a baseball guy, so my knowledge of FHM is rather limited, though I do try to keep tabs on developments. But, for example, if fictional leagues could support all the actual league alignments of past and current real-world hockey leagues, that alone adds a huge number of potential league arrangements. It may not be as good as total freedom, but it still would add a lot. And it benefits historical play as well, since those alignments would be needed. See my earlier point about crossover.)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-16-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote