View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Jon Shafer
Bat Boy

Thanks all, glad you enjoyed the interview! I've become an insane OOTP addict over the past couple years, and it was a lot of fun working with Brad on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Excellent article. In before the whining about "arbitrary" and "random" begins.
Haha, is that a thing? I would have figured stating that results in sports are somewhat random isn't at all controversial. It's part of the game and something you just have to deal with (hence why BABIP is such an important stat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Wow. This interview now has me believing huge things can be possible for OOTP. The very fact he and Markus are having enlightened conversations has me feeling very positively. Perhaps a collaboration could be forth coming in the future?
Thanks for your kind words! To be fair, we've really only been talking seriously about interface stuff, although we did figure out the incorrect scouting reports bug and I convinced him to make it possible to change scouting and dev budgets at any point during the offseason. I'm a UI guy at heart though, so that's likely where most of my energy will be directed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I liked the roguelike comparison, those really are similar at heart to sports management games - although we get the cheat mode of taking over a good team. It's nice to be reminded that there's still a healthy population of gamers that want to be challenged by a complex and difficult situation, rather than being led around by the nose like most modern AAA single-player games or relying on human competition/cooperation (and all the downsides that brings) for a challenge.
Well, in an online league you typically don't get to pick what team you take over! I honestly haven't spent any time playing OOTP in single-player, so all of my experience comes from a single angle. I love playing for keeps, and the fact that every decision is permanent and something you'll have to deal with months and years later. I understand the urge to go back and ensure the "right" conclusion is reached, but my favorite games are those where this is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatrevival View Post
kinda like what this guy attempted: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...zation-iv.html
Wow, that's crazy... as much as I've enjoyed both OOTP and Civ I never would have thought to combine the two. Thanks for sharing. I love the creativity of the gaming community, it never ceases to amaze me!

- Jon
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote