View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #70
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
Another hypothesis is the increased competition might have a cumulative effect. If starter 1 gets knocked around, then the bullpen comes in early. Maybe pitches back to back games. Bullpen gets tired. Starter 2 gets beat up, the cycle intensifies. Starter 3 is in a sticky spot and the bullpen is already tired, so maybe the AI leaves the starter in too long. I've seen this type of thing before. Perhaps carrying an extra bullpen arm could help--or if you are at home, swapping in rested RPs for tired RPs of similar quality at times.

I checked on this by going through all the games and every time the SP did poorly, he was taken out early. The only times someone made it 6 innings, they either did reasonably well (almost always) or they didn't get hit hard until late (I was surprised how rare this was). So good idea to keep this in mind, but it doesn't look to be the problem so far.

Our record so far is 37-46 .446 (since bronze, our worst WPct was .623). Against the whales we are 6-27 .182, while we're 31-19 .620 vs everyone else. That record against the non-whales is very low for this team and that extremely poor record vs the whales has never happened before.

On the plus side, Lava's still leading the team in AVG (but that's not really a positive), Lajoie is 2nd in HRs and will probably make it to the AS game as a reserve and Seaver's doing well in the bullpen and ... that's about it for the positives.