View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #423
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 6th, 1987

Opening Day for my 3rd year in the league!

The Giants have Bruce Ruffin going against Mark Langston and the Padres.

I have had a lot of success against Langston, going 5 for 10.

Okay hometown fans! Let's go!

We got the Pads in order and then I led off our season by... striking out.

I made my first defensive play of the year in the 3rd, shopping a Tony Gwynn grounder for the 2nd out.

I came up with two out in the bottom half and struck out again.

In the 4th I started a nice Priske - Grich - O'Malley double play to get John Kruk and Kevin McReynolds out.

I came up in the 5th with two out and Ruffin on 2nd. I struck out AGAIN. Three at-bats this season and all are strikeouts!

We finally opened the scoring in the 6th. Chris Brown led off with a single. With one out Steve Stanicek also singled. With two out Bob Brenly singled, scoring Chris. Then Tom O'Malley singled home Steve and Bobby Grich singled home Bob.

Giants lead 3-0.

I led off the 7th for us and I broke the streak, dropping one into left for a single. I quickly grabbed my first stolen base on the season. I moved to 3rd on a Brown ground out. I scored on a two out double by Stanicek.

Giants lead 4-0.

After Bruce gave up a lead off single in the 8th, Nestor lifted him for Jeff Robinson. He got out of it.

I came up in the bottom half with two out, Bobby Grich on 2nd and pinch hitter Jerry Mumphrey on 1st. I struck out for the 4th time today.

Scott Garrelts came in the pitch the 9th. He got his three and we had won Opening Day with a shut out!

I got a single, a stolen base, and a run scored... but I struck out FOUR times.

Oh, I never said... we are predicted to finish 2nd in our division, 8 games behind the Reds.

Bruce Ruffin and Eric Show are pegged to be Top 10 pitchers. None of our hitters got the same respect.

Mark Langston is pencilled in as the Cy Young favourite. Still...

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote