View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 03:29 AM   #4
billethius
All Star Reserve

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to write these up, so bear with me at the beginning here as I try out different styles. Anyway...

Opening Day! The owner, who doesn't want to give me any more money, wants to remind me that I'm supposed to stay close to a .500 record this year. I hope that the pitching will be good enough that we can do a bit better than that.

The Top Prospect Report is out, and Alex Rodriguez is #1 as expected. Four other Mariners make the list:

#16 Derek Lowe
#33 David Ortiz (He started his career in the Mariners organization as David Arias before being traded to Minn. at some point)
#43 Raul Ibanez
#51 Jason Varitek

For the first series we'll be in Toronto for three games with the Blue Jays. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned on Opening Day. David Cone shut the offense down over 7ip and Randy Johnson didn't pitch particularly well (5ip, 6h, 3r, 6k, 3bb)

Games 2 and 3 weren't much better, with the Mariners losing 9-0 and 10-3. The only noteworthy thing in those two games was the first homerun of the season for Griffey. Well, that and almost getting no-hit by Al Leiter.

News From Around the League:

* Pedro Martinez of the Montreal Expos has been suspended for 3 games for throwing at a player and starting a brawl.
* Astro's pitcher (Astros? I don't remember that at all) Doug Drabek no-hit the SF Giants, striking out 9 and walking 2 on 120 pitches.

Last edited by billethius; 04-04-2019 at 03:47 AM.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote