View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Historical Minor League Schedules

These are some historical minor league schedules, primarily from the railroad era (pre-1960). Game times are, for the most part, not published, so I've settled on the following starting times:
  • Pre-1931: 3:00 weekday games; 1:00 weekend and holiday games; 12:00 and 3:00 double-headers
  • 1931 and after: 7:00 weekday games; 1:00 weekend and holiday games; 4:00 and 7:00 double-headers (weekdays); 12:00 and 3:00 double-headers (weekends and holidays)

The first night game in professional baseball was in May, 1930, and, from what I've read, it appears that the minor leagues quickly adopted that innovation. If anyone has information regarding the actual start times for the games listed here, I'd be happy to hear about it.

The primary sources for these schedules are contemporaneous publications, including:

These are the schedules that were published prior to opening day. Consequently, they do not necessarily reflect how the games were actually played, and some of these leagues may have even folded mid-season.

In many cases, there are errors in the printed schedules. This is almost inevitable, considering all the steps that a schedule would take from the league office to the publisher to the printed page. In most cases, the mistakes are obvious and easily corrected. In some cases, I've had to check other sources. If there's some doubt about a particular quirk in the schedule, I'll make a note of it.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 01-09-2015 at 11:27 AM.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote