View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #48
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
Who are you addressing? Me?That is a function of having less open world games and more linear games. Or simpler games aka shooters.

Doesn't work for a hugely complex game like OOTP (CK 2 has been mentioned - it's pretty much the same thing).
Yeah, I'm the one who mentioned CKII, and I think the analogy is a good one. When I was learning to play CKII, which is an enormously complicated game, I relied on the manual, the Wiki, the forum, and the "how to" videos. Each was useful in some ways and deficient in others.

The manual is good for explaining general concepts and the nuts-and-bolts of the game ("if you press this button, it will do this"), but doesn't give much help with strategy.

The Wiki is good for explaining how everything fits together, as well as providing some basic strategy tips ("if you press this button, you may also need to press this other button"), but can be daunting to the beginner.

The forum is good for more in-depth strategy tips ("which button is the best?"), but is disorganized and not much use if you need help immediately.

The "how-to" videos are great for the beginner ("there's a button?"), but impossible as reference sources.

Each performs a useful function -- that's why they all co-exist.

I get the sense that you just want a manual. Manuals are nice, but they're not everything. I'd like an OOTP manual too, but that doesn't mean that a manual is necessarily better than a Wiki or a forum or a video.

By asking the gamer community to help out, I think what you're really aiming for is better accomplished by the OOTP Wiki rather than the manual. The manual is, for better or worse, the company's product. The Wiki should be the community's product. If the company can't produce a manual, I don't think it's the community's task to write one for it.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote