View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #41
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Yes. Lead off with some honest hard work.
Who are you addressing? Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I agree in principle, but that doesn't seem to be the way things are going in the computer gaming world.

I've purchased plenty of games over the years, and the manuals just keep getting less and less informative. The task of instructing players on game mechanics and strategies has gradually been handed off (either intentionally or not) to the players themselves. That has been facilitated by the development of forums, the creation of Wikis, and by gamers who produce "how to play" videos that they post on Youtube.

You can say that the companies that do this are abdicating their responsibility to create a manual, or you can say that they are enhancing their product by relying on the "wisdom of the crowd."

That may be a good thing or a bad thing, but it's the way things are now. It's just one aspect of the overall trend toward the democratization of information. Manuals are an example of the top-down model of information that is being supplanted by the bottom-up model pioneered by Wikipedia. Both models can co-exist, but there are a lot of advantages to the bottom-up model that OOTP hasn't fully taken advantage of.
That is a function of having less open world games and more linear games. Or simpler games aka shooters.

Doesn't work for a hugely complex game like OOTP (CK 2 has been mentioned - it's pretty much the same thing).

I for once draw a lot of fun out of the idea to be able to totally customize my game to my tastes. But in order to do that successfully, I need to know how - and there the game (or rather the manual) fails me somewhat.

To get back on topic: If you are itching to write something (even a rough draft), here are three empty pages that shouldn't be too hard to fill for somebody who has attained Hall of Famer status on this board:
Injury Basics: When where and how are injuries used.

The Injury Files: Explain the Injuries txt file

Hands-on: Injuries: An example of adding some obscure and entertaining injury to the file. Should include a screen shot?
Any takers?
AstaSyneri is offline   Reply With Quote