View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Tony Galento (Heavyweight)
Tony's hitting power is rated as an 8. That would be a good rating for the post-prime version of Two-Ton.

I upped it to: HP 11
Why?

Joe Louis took punches from some big punchers during his career. Included that of Rocky Marciano who stopped him when he was well past his prime. When asked who hit the hardest, he said, "That little fat man Galento. No one every hurt me with punches like he did. Not even Marciano."

Galento was never the same after getting stopped by Joe Louis which was the first time he'd ever been knocked down in his career. After that fight, he stopped Lou Nova in the 14th round and went straight downhill from there.

Of all the fighters I've met and have shaken hands with, Tony Galento had the biggest hands I've ever seen in my life!

Tony told my grandfather who worked in his and Jersey Joe Walcott's camp as one of the trainers that he gave everything he had against Joe Louis. After that fight, he was done as a top-flight fighter.

Remember, by the time he fought Joe Louis, he already had over 100 fights! And that's with a "face-first, you hit me, I hit you" style. With a defense of 4, a case could be made that it should be a "5", he probably had a TKO rating of 1 in his prime, but I've left it as a 2.

Back in Jersey at the time, Jersey Joe Walcott and others said that he was probably the only fighter in history who could have fought John L. Sullivan toe-to-toe over 20 rounds and have beaten him, he was that durable.
Jersey-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote