Thread: Rating Bias
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Well it would be nice to have some names and surnames to start talking about it imho
I accept the challenge Granted, I have yet to take an in-depth look at the database, but after a quick glance at DEL team ERC Ingolstadt these things look not good at all to me:

Michel Periard and Jakub Ficenec (now you ask yourself "who??") are rated higher than NHL veterans like Joe Corvo or Lubomir Visnovksky and actually come close to Dion Phaneuf.

Granted, Ficenec has been a highly productive player in Germany but he's now 36, yet his skating for example is still great (16s). Corvo is comparable in age (36) and has always been solid with nice offensive numbers. But Ficenec is better or equal in every offensive, defensive or mental category (except faceoffs and temperament).

Re: Lubomir Visnovsky. He's a two-time 60+ points scorer in the NHL, yet his offensive ratings are all worse than Ficenec's (including potential) or Michel Periard's, who is also more of a puck-moving, mobile defenseman.

Now a quick comparison between Dion Phaneuf/Jakub Ficenec:
Off. Pot: 765/744
Skating: 16s/16s, 15s
Off. Attributes: totally equal except Passing (18 vs. 17 for Phaneuf)
Def. Pot: 680/625
Def. Attributes: Checking and Hitting Phaneuf is quite a bit better, yet Ficenec leads in Def. Read and Positioning; rest is equal

I hope these numbers speak for themselves. I believe something is out of whack.
However, if these are numbers that are supposed to make the whole database work, then I am not at all surprised that Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are far and away the most underrated players in the game (which may be more a historical DB problem, but still...).