View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Aging and Development modifiers for historical?

I was planning on starting a fictional league in 1871 using real players as a sort of alternate history of baseball.

I'm using Spritze's database as I want to give players some time to develop and give some players the opportunity to appear earlier if they started their big league career when they were already on the decline.

However, I've run into what I think is a problem. First I started in 1992 and simmed until 2012 and players were aging too slowly and basically every star player broke into the bigs at the age of 19 without a single stint in the minors. I'm not sure if this is because of their ratings when they come in because of the DB or what, but it means much longer careers for everyone.

Then I did a sim from 95 to 2012 and had the aging modifiers at 1.100 and development modifiers at .900. Basically same results.

Some of these may be outliers, but I had things like Greg maddux pitching for 26 years and amassing 390 wins and Randy Johnson pitching for 23 years and getting 5771 strikeouts. Actually there were alot of players with 300+ wins or 4000+ Ks.

Anyone use this database and have an idea of what to do with this issue (or your opinion on whether or not it actually is an issue)?

@MisterG90
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote