View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
He really was the outlier of all outliers wasn't he?
The Babe was amazing!
Bigger than life in baseball and just bigger in life... he was very special and much loved.

I played a dynasty league years ago... All-Time All-Star Association... 16 original franchises... each team used its all-time best players... I also added a few Negro starts and Japanese stars to the mix... and yes, control freak that I am, EC chose them and controlled all rosters, pitching rotations and lineups.

Babe Ruth led the league in homers the first season with 35... he hit 43 in year two, but was beaten out by Japanese great Sadaharu Oh with 44.

This was using 2006 version... I manually created all of the players' ratings... it worked well, but some players did not play well... I remember being so disappointed in Tom Seaver… he was 7-20 with a 5.00 ERA in his first year... that was the problem with using real players... they all can't be good in an all-time all-star league... that is why I eventually switched my dynasty league reports to fictional players... I don't know them like I know MLB players... I have no expectations from the fictional players.

I just perused the All-Time All-Star Association dynasty report and gleaned this little jewel... it will give you a very small sample of the statistics results I had... and you can see a little bit about the players from different eras performed... dead ball players did hit home runs in my AAA.

ALLTIME ALLSTAR ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, September 30,1902

NATIONAL AND AMERICAN LEAGUES ANNOUNCE AWARD WINNERS

The Alltime Allstar Association announced its top awards winners today. The Baseball Writers of America bestowed the 1902 Golden Bat, Golden Arm and Rookie of the Year awards.

The National League best pitcher was Carl Hubbell of the pennant-winning New York Giants. He had a great season with 22 victories and only 6 losses with a 2.30 ERA, which was the best in the AAA.

The top hurler in the American League was fireballer Herb Score of the Cleveland Indians with a sparkling 20-7 mark and set a new strikeout standard with 254 on the year and a 2.89 ERA. The BWA presented each of them with the coveted Golden Arm trophy.

For the second year in a row New York's Babe Ruth garnered the American League Golden Bat award. He had a fine year last year, but improved on it this season. He set a new AL home run record with 43, easily beating his 35 from last year. Ruth hit .317 with 121 RBIs and 122 runs scored.

Turkey Stearnes of the Chicago Cubs had a standout year and took the best batter honors in the National League. He finished the season with a lofty .343 average, second best in the league, and added 37 homers, 122 RBIs and scored 125 times.

In the Rookie of the Year category, in a brilliant freshman season, the slugging first baseman of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Sadahuru Oh, broke the AAA home run record with 44 circuit blasts in his first season. Ruth had held the record previously. Oh hit .302 and set new highs in the NL for 133 RBIs and tied the AAA mark with 131 runs scored.

The best AL newcomer was Boston's David Ortiz, who hit .277, drove in 104 runs, walloped 29 home runs and tallied 79 runs.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-04-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote