Thread: OOTP only #3?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #46
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Boxing Sim

For those looking for a boxing sim... well good luck... I too have been wanting one and about the best I can still do is the old board game Title Bout Boxing.

However, I did find a game on Steam that has provided me with lots of hours of fun. Now make no mistake, it's a bare bones program (I actually wondered if it was programmed in basic lol). It's text based and the actual boxing engine does seem adequate, if not even better.

You are a boxing manager (not a boxer) and start off with X amount of dollars and you have to sign and train boxers to get them better. You also have to upgrade your facilities to help make this happen easier. You schedule the bouts, the opponents, and get the necessary TV contracts (this is crucial... lol at first I kept losing money and wondering why because I thought the TV stuff was handled automatically).

The fighters are rated in IIRC 20 categories (5 types of punches, 5 areas of physical skill, 5 areas of mental skill, and 5 areas of, well, whatever they didn't fit in the others I guess lol. Anyway, it works well. You train them both by selecting their daily training regiment and by sparring (which I understand becomes a real big PITA in late game but I've never got there). You have to schedule and execute each sparring session individually and a fighter can spar once every 3 days, so you can see how time consuming it may get if you get to a stable of say 20 fighters.

But sparring is very important. It is the only way to get "special" traits that allow their ratings to above 20. All 20 of the ratings are capped at 20. But, there are also 20 traits for all 20 ratings, and if your fighter gets one (or more) those skills can then be raised to 25. And it can be a big difference maker.

Anyway, you just schedule each days training regiment, improve facilities, train your boxers, pretty much like most other management sims and as I said, I really like it so far. It's fun.

Oh crap, lol, forgot to mention the name of the game. It's World Boxing Manager:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...oxing_Manager/

And they do mean world. There are boxing federations from all over the world in this game (not real ones) and lots and lots and lots of fighters.

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 08-04-2019 at 10:05 AM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote