View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 AM   #25
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

As someone who frequently plays older versions (and has a family member enjoying 11 and 12 right now) and whose been a very good and loyal customer in the past I can tell you I will be extremely unhappy if the day EVER comes where I/we can't play a game I purchased and own. Unhappy to the extent of looking at legal options.

I don't mean to be all negative and all, but this is the big problem in software sales. Everybody (including OOTP) markets their games as though they're selling them. Everywhere you look when you're shopping it says "Buy" or "Purchase" or "Own the best selling xxx" but then when something inconvenient happens they want to point to the EULA and try and insist it was clear you don't actually own the game blah blah blah.

But vendors can't have it both ways. Just like if you market something as 50% off you had better deliver 50% off or you're in some legal jeopardy, even if that something has some fine print down somewhere that needs a magnifying glass to see saying otherwise. If software companies want to claim we do not own the software, only the right to use it and that right can be taken away at any time and for any reason, then they need to market it that way. Make it plain to the consumer at point of purchase that they're not buying a game but renting it for the foreseeable future.

But they don't want to do that, because guess what? A lot of consumers will balk at paying $40 to $60 to rent a game, and their revenues will drop. So long as vendors market it as SELLING then we consumers OWN it when it we BUY it, eula or no eula.