View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #85
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I'll suggest a pause as we teeter along a grey line here that can easily take on a different color and tone unless we redirect. I'll attempt to do so now, in the spirit of preserving this good discussion and exchange.

An expression of how the game sets with someone, in this case an initial slight disappointment, should always have its place, and its articulation of the game's shortcomings and merits are best limited to areas, features, processes, and the return to how-it-looks-from-here when sharing them, without assessing cause or blame. Those are origins rather than results and we're generally best served, and here in the forums for that matter, to examine results over cause, unless of course we're discussing anomalies of success or of malfunctions.

We do that with interface, text, graphics, mods, engine accuracy, and so forth. But we do ourselves and the conversation a disservice to leap or spill into the arena of motivations, owner-philosophy, and developer aims. Those don't belong to us and, aside from a quote or snippet we might use to support a particular argument, can't actually be known. It's always, always speculation. Because those origins possess their own how-it-looks-from-here vantage point worth the equal protection we afford ourselves to own our outlooks.

Let me say it, suggest it, a different way. If we focus on areas that produce certain reactions, we'll find pathways for those same areas to continue to grow- if we like them -or begin to grow because they've been highlighted for review. Spending any energy on business decisions like resource allotment won't further our highlights. It begins to compel one to take sides or defend positions. A when the divisive ensues, we diminish.

Whatever part of the game composes your direct experience, please always feel a sense of welcome to share those reactions. On the heels of that, other elements of the game, i.e. any given version of OOTP, don't have to weigh into your reactions. I have to believe there will, of necessity, always be an ever-shifting distribution of the coding efforts, design ambitions, and put-any-department-here. Yet our world goes on in that development process parallel to other's worlds. Collectively.