View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
heir
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Regardless of the contract, I just wouldn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse. Let's be real here; the guy is a grade A D-bag. I really, really want this whole thing to backfire on Philly. Have fun with his .240 batting average and team-killing attitude.

While he bat only .249 last year, I don't think anyone would try to posit that a 26 year old MVP could possibly be declining; only that the player has oft been injured, which has curtailed some otherwise stellar production.

Whether we believe he's overrated, or injury prone... let's get the facts straight. Harper has a .279 career average, with an MVP season of .330.

I think both parties did well here. The Phils got a player that as of his MVP season would have been worth nearly 40 mil per -- for only 25 mil per season.

I don't think anyone would bet on the final 3 seasons; so I look at it as essentially a 10 year, 300 million deal, with 30 million deferred over the final 3 years. Basically, the Phils added the 3 years to bring the average per year down to an acceptable number. But, there's always a chance that he's still playing, and so the team retains his rights for an extra 3 years, for mere peanuts.

But, the deal is better than the 100 million in deferred money that the Nats were offering. This Phils deal has more total money, (a record) more guarantees, and no deferrals. Had Harper raked last season, and hit at least .300 or better, he would most likely be getting over 350-400 million, over 10 years. So, for those that have been paying attention, this was a fair deal for both sides, given the present conditions. But, if Harper returns to MVP form, the team will have made out like bandits.

In the end, Harper got what he was worth in the current market, and the team got a great deal for a star player. Although, if Harper starts hitting .300 again, he'll be asking for more money, or a trade, in 3 years or less. Count on it.

Last edited by heir; 02-28-2019 at 10:15 PM.
heir is offline   Reply With Quote