Thread: Good news!
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The UI for FOF is outdated but it's far from the only reason I don't play that game. FOF is neat if you want to play a single team as a GM in a modern-looking league or if you want to be a part of a PBEM league, and that's pretty much it. There's just zero customizeability the way there is with OOTP or FM or even the Wolverine Studios suite of games. You can import real rosters or you can use (pregen) fake players and... that's really about it. There's also very little depth to the game outside of the stuff that directly impacts your being a GM. Coaching, frankly, is kind of a joke - the game replaces AI and a strong knowledge of how to counteract football strategies with "the defense seems familiar with this play", and, weirdly, I think that Football Mogul's coaching system is actually more robust. The worst thing about this is that Jim Gindin's been making this game since the late 1990s - even at one point getting a bit of a financial boost from EA (I think they were going to include FOF in one of the versions of Madden in the early 2000s) and, time or no time, a lot of this stuff could have and should have been expanded upon. But it never did and in some ways the first couple iterations were actually *more* customizeable (forex you could expand the league) than the current one.

I have high hopes for BTS, and while I'm OK with the notion that not everything that I want in a game is going to be there in the first go-round, I also think there comes a time when you just have to say "ok, this game does what this guy wants it to do and that's just not what I want".
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not