Thread: Player Ratings
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Agreed, and thanks for the quick response.

It is a can of worms, but ultimately a very important one.

I think one way to address it may be to have internal modifiers to certain attributes depending on the preference/scheme a team/coach is set as using. This could be pre-set, or it could be a sliding scale.

I am a coach who operates a power run game, and as such covert power backs. I 100% value strength over speed (or you can make it a say, 75% to 25% weighting, so it isn't absolute, I still need my back to run under 6 seconds for a 40!). The engine can then subtract a predetermined amount behind the scenes to stats like speed, agility, acceleration, and artificially inflate stats such as strength and trucking (if it's included). I still see the stats of a player as they really are in the user interface, but the number used by the engine to calculate a player's overall rating are significantly altered. If you have a slider to say how you you prefer power or speed, this could just alter the amount the internal modifier affects an attribute.

If I then plug said player into my roster, he should excel. His stats externally haven't changed, but I see a high overall because he is good at the things I need him to be good at. Shonne Green probably wouldn't be a better back than Chris Johnson, but he would be if heavily used a power run game plan. If I then put Shonn Green on the Eagles and their high tempo scheme, he would tank, even though his attributes haven't changed.

I think the tricky part is balancing everything.
How important are certain attributes to certain player types?
How much numerically should an attribute be booter/reduced?
What number would an attribute(s) need to be at roughly for one player to excel in a suited scheme, and under perform in a contradictory scheme?

Can of worms indeed!!