View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
djday45
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
CONTROL VS BOXERS - Change to 11. He actually did better against boxers such as Corbett and Fitzsimmons as he didnt give them time to set. think Frazier. This is often the way with swarmers.

DJ, hate to point this out, but Fitz had very little trouble with Sharkey in two fights. Choynski gave him lots of problems. In their first encounter, Sharkey got the decision because he was still standing after 8 rounds. In the second, Choynski was boxing his ears off when Sharkey used several illegal tactics including throwing Joe to the mat. He should've been DQ'd. Sharkey was a wild, wide-open brawler who liked guys to come right at him. He lost to Jeffries because Jeff was bigger and stronger and a slightly better boxer.

Cap
Well Fitz is a boxer puncher, so is adaptable against him. As you know you cant use an individuals ratings in isolation but as a whole group of fighters and how they interact against each other.

I agree with you about Jeffries one hundred percent, Most skilled fighters gave Sharkey problems if they were able to stand up to him for a few rounds, this was due to his general lack of technical skill and defense, which is handsomely represented in the rating.

You will find with this rating of sharkey if you run it extensively that he will overwhelm most lower rated guys of the era as he did in reality but when he comes up against the cream of the division due to his didtinct weaknessess he will struggle. He may outlast them on occassion but guys like Corbett, Fitz and Jeffries will prevail but after a hell of a fight.

I will do Jeffries, Fitz and Joe next so you can compare. Thks for the feedback Cap your extensive knowledge of the era and feeback, even critical will only improve my ratings which is great.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote