View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #83
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Ben Chapman was the Phillies manager who gave Robinson all the trouble IRL. How did he do in your league?
There is an interesting article on Chapman here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...i-42-i/274995/

BEN CHAPMAN

Chapman broke in with the Yankees in 1928 and spent a decade in New York before ending his career with the Boston Braves. This version of the Yankees was not the same as the real-life powerhouse. Ruth was there but there was no Gehrig and no DiMaggio in pinstripes so Chapman played on some mediocre teams.

He was a 3-time all-star and claimed a couple of gold gloves for his work in the outfield. He also led the American League in stolen bases in 1932 and 1933. After a poor 1939 campaign and an even worse start to 1940 the Yankees released him and he was signed by the Braves. Things went no better in Boston and at the age of 32 his major league career was over. Chapman did kick around the minors for a few more years before retiring in 1948. I have no way of tracking it but he played in 11 different minor leagues in his career and I am thinking that might be a record.

His MLB totals were a .301 career average with 2,072 hits in 1,868 games. He put together some pretty good seasons in his early twenties but had a huge drop-off once he reached age 30. There was no managerial career for Chapman in this sim. Real-life numbers compare favourably to his sim career, 1,717 games with 1,958 hits and a .302 average. He was a 4-time all-star in real-life.
Attached Images
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote