View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
jaxoncorbit
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
hmmm that's an interesting point. Can you elaborate on the salary cap recruiting process? Is there like one big auction? Or ongoing throughout the year and you don't know what type of talent is available later? Do players always go to highest bidder?
At the end of the season, after the High School and JUCO playoffs have ended, the players that are too old to play in those leagues become available as Free Agents in the College leagues. This is where the most recruiting takes place. There have been times that I have lost recruits to Division 2 teams because they spent more money than I did. Its a balancing act. If you spend too much on that big name star that every school is trying to sign then you are leaving yourself vulnerable to a lack of depth or talent spread throughout your team. I've seen that having two or three big names is fine for the regular season but it kills you come playoff time because other teams are much more well rounded. The other thing to note is that recruiting is throughout the offseason. The season ends in June or July so you recruit a lot through the fall but there will be players that become available throughout the winter leading up to preseason so if you spend all your money and then a huge talent becomes available in December, another school could get him on a small scholarship because no one else has money left to bid.
jaxoncorbit is offline   Reply With Quote