View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
This has done something interesting in my league.

I started developing runtime errors on my old laptop but they were quite rare and I couldn't reproduce them. As each season went by they became more and more common until it was more or less unplayable. The laptop was quite old so I assumed it was just running out of memory when loading the game up or going to a screen that had lots of information (such as all players including retired players screen).

I purchased a new computer yesterday (Intel i7 3.6Ghz with 32gig of Ram) and the problem still persisted but far less frequently than before so I tried what you mentioned above and the test.lg wouldn't even load before developing a runtime error. Going off of Accipiter's post of a corrupt faces.dat I deleted the faces.dat and lo-and-behold it now loads. I'm thinking of turning the facegen off anyway but would Force / Update of all player photos" in the "Game Setup" screen possibly fix the problem?
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, when a runtime error happens, it generally involves at least one - if not more - of the .dat files. And generally the league is beyond fixing. However, as of late, the one .dat file that's been causing these runtime errors is that faces.dat. But as a general test, we have users to do what I posted above - with the test.lg folder. If then that test fails to resolve the issue, we forward it to the developers.

In the meantime, at the user's discretion, if he/she wishes to do their own investigation, you can try deleting the .dat files one-by-one to see which one(s) may be the culprit. Also, I need to point out that sometimes a runtime error happens as a result of some sort of computer hardware malfunction or it could be caused by a downloaded Windows update.

As to your question about using the Force / Update of all player photos fixing this problem: I really don't think so. If the faces.dat file is corrupt, using that Force/Update button likely will not resolve the issue. Your only hope here is if you have a healthy faces.dat file either in your auto-save folder or in a recent backup of your league files that you can put in place of the corrupt faces.dat file.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote