View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

GM Journal

My kids make fun of me for keeping my grandfather's old Playstation3 around so I can play MLB '15 The Show... but look who's laughing now... I'm running a baseball team! I can't believe Lerma actually kept his word and remembered our bet from all those years ago. At first I thought he had just about given up and stopped caring about the team... figure he'd pay me peanuts and spend all his time at his summer house... But the guy is surprisingly hardcore about this crap... Asking me for my take on the roster and the direction of the farm system and the coaching and scouting staffs. It's like he expects me to have a clue... Good thing I have a nice supply of these 56 Hour Energy shots on hand. Time to start looking at what I got here...

History
Owner Curt Lerma became a minor national celebrity in 2040 when at the age of 32, he married the 60 year old former model and California governor Kim Kardashian. It was her 7th marriage and it only lasted for two years. Lerma used the generous divorce settlement to purchase the Columbus Hot Dogs shortly after the start of the 2042 inaugural NLB season. The team has been consistently mediocre, with Lerma spending on veteran free agents and rarely developing much in house talent.

Best Player
RF Jeffrey "Firehose" Young / 29 years old - A former 1st overall pick by Columbus in 2046, Young did not take a single at-bat in the minor leagues. He made his NLB debut immediately after being drafted out of the University of Tennessee and won NLB Rookie of the Month for July 2046. He is a career .288 hitter good for 25-30 HRs per season while swiping 20 or more bases. A fan favorite in Columbus, Young is signed for two more seasons with a player option for the third. He is the 2nd highest paid player on the team, making a combined $2.6m over the next two seasons.

Best Pitcher
SP Ruben "Big Stud" Vega / 32 years old - Another fan favorite, Vega has spent his entire 10 year career with the Hot Dogs. With 125 career wins and a 3.79 lifetime ERA, Vega has been one of the few consistent performers on a team that typically does not spend money on pitching. He's the highest paid player on the team, owed a little more than $4m over the next three seasons.

Outlook
Not a whole lot of warm and fuzzies looking at those yearly standings. Guess things could have been worse, and looking at the current situation, we have some decent veteran leadership... But also have a couple of bad contracts and I'm not getting a lot of confidence about young guys on our minor league system. Within the next day or so, I'll really have to get a handle around our roster and start really looking at the rest of the league... now where did my kid put my PS3 controller... it's not like these things can just be picked up at any old WalMart anymore... geez.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote