View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropterus58 View Post
I have never had a problem importing an old league and continuing to update it throughout the year. Just make a backup of your old league(s) first. I am glad the developers keep updating and improving the game but hopefully they do need to work on the next version. Go for it, Eugene. See what most everybody has been playing for 9 months.
Yeah, it's pretty much SOP for me and I assume other solo players to just keep using my league through patches. The most I've seen is that sometimes a relatively new rating will have to get tweaked a bit and so if I've started a league in an early patch some of the results might be weird (I remember in particular there was a thing like 10 versions ago where catchers all had really high gap power numbers for some reason), but even at that the underlying game engine itself has not had major changes for a few years now.

I think, too, that the last couple versions have been pretty stable out of the gate in ways that previous versions weren't. Even then I think the "ideal" way to go (which, TBH, I never even began to do because Thrift ain't waiting that long) was to wait a month or two for the big patches to come out. You really don't need to wait until the World Series is almost over to start playing the latest version.

Finally, I have to say that this method is kind of a detriment to yourself because at this point, if your style of play happens to uncover a bug that nobody else noticed, it might be too late for the team to get it on a list for this year's version. And so you're going to have to wait an entire year to see if the fix works for you (which, speaking as a developer, on our end all we're really doing when it comes time to quashing bugs is looking at the bug and the steps to reproducing it, replicating it, fixing the issue that was causing it, and sending it back to QA to test. Of course we'll try to do integration testing and the like but, well, sometimes fixing a bug in one place uncovers one in another place and that is what we have testers and, as the product matures, end users for in a way).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote