Thread: Career dynasty
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
Margaret Garlick
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Mainly a preseason update here.

2022/23

The Oilers shift trouble child Puljujärvi to Dallas for the more experienced Adam Lowry in the highest profile trade of the NHL offseason. They also trade off Emil Andrae to the Wild for a 3rd round draft pick. Carolina traded for eight draft picks and are definitely having a firesale. Ottawa are looking to make a competitive team, trading their blue-chip draft pick Gollob for the more finished product pick Kaše. Chicago finally haul Aatu Räty across the Atlantic, meaning they'll have cost-controlled production out of him and Alex Holtz.

I again approach goalies on the first day and get some attractive bites; 25-year-old Adam Werner with AHL experience, 3 stars and was decent for Frölunda last year and who is willing to come for a very attractive salary. Also sign 30-year-old Johan Gustafsson who was excellent for Zug in Switzerland, he's only 2.5 stars but good enough for backup duty. I take another gamble on Russian VHL (2nd-tier) level player Denis Gorbunov to do a job as 2nd-line playmaker. We sell RW Salminen to Färjestad for quite significant cash, as I suspect he's about to fall off a cliff, and we pick up Slovak stalwart winger Tomáš Jurčo on a free transfer after he's been bouncing around doing very well.

The final signing is an unscouted gamble, Rafaël Harvey-Pinard, but with 74 NHL games at 23 I really have to take that opportunity. He does get hit with an adjustment penalty, despite having a fellow Quebecois on the team, so I think he might have to start the season on the third line. Finally we sign LW Nikola Pašić, a temperamental youngster who failed to settle down on the NJ Devils roster, for development purposes. Top-to-bottom I thought the squad doesn't really have any holes this year

Elsewhere in Sweden, Färjestad really dig deep to sign players, but fail to shell out for a goalie matching their ambitions.
Champions Hockey League: We draw a pretty tough group with old friends Ilves, Škoda Plzeň and HK Zvolen, the upset Slovak champions. New goalie Werner really struggles, then somehow signs for Colorado and I nearly ragequit. For some reason goalies absolutely refuse to sign for my team to replace them, but eventually I manage to buy a 2.5* Swede Gunnarsson who has been playing in Germany.

September: 1-2-3 (2-1 OT). Very slow start, really struggle to get the new lines working together. Not quite sure how to work the patched lineup system, spent an hour working out the lines. At least our GD is +4 and we're top of the positional rankings so I take this as a minor blip.

Squad as of October 2:

Margaret Garlick is offline   Reply With Quote