View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyone View Post
I think, probably because the research they do shows that the majority of players start from the most current season, OOTP puts less (I'd say too little) time into strategies that were popular in the past, even when that means "not that long ago."

I even get too few platoons among who starts despite that in lineup selection I have "sabermetric (splits favored)" chosen, such that the key factor in choosing a lineup vs. righties should be how well a player hits righties above overall hitting skill. And I have 27 man rosters so even with extra pitchers as in modern day there are a fair number of slots on the roster for platoon partners.

Strict platoons are less common this decade in real life than ever because teams carry fewer hitters and more pitchers, a large difference in that from even 20-30 years ago.

But among the long list of league strategy settings there should be a setting for platooning that would be "least" in modern day (which doesn't mean never, but it's a lot less common than it was through most of baseball history), and maybe also for managers (who I think the L/R preference in manager sliders is much more, maybe exclusively, about pitcher use).

Those settings, along with the number of unused batters on a roster, should determine the chance of pinch hitting for someone with their platoon partner, and if playing anytime starting when platooning started becoming popular (I don't know when in baseball history, exactly) until the time teams carrying so few batters to have room for more pitchers made strict platoons hard to manage, or at least importing strategy from those times, should lead to more strict platoons, how often depending on the manager's preference for platooning.
Didn't the Red Sox and especially the Dodgers use platoons as standard strategy in 2018? I remember it being a big deal that LA wasn't starting their lefties against Sale and Price in that WS. And Boston certainly have used Moreland in a platoon with different right handers at first base for the last three years. The strategy is still employed.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote