View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Any way to accomplish this?

So I'm almost 50. I've been watching baseball games since the mid '70's. Now I will admit that my ability to watch MLB games over the past five years has been diminished due to me now living in Costa Rica. So extremely new trends may be a bit unfamiliar to me but other than that, the thousands of games I've watched in my lifetime give me a pretty good understanding of standard baseball strategy. And as for OOTP, I find that it has done a beter job than any other baseball sim in being able to recreate those strategies, even within the context of their historical accuracy. However, there is one strategy that seems to be missing.

How does one set a strategy such that the AI will pinch hit for your platoon players in the 6th or later when behind or tied with the corresponding player he platoons with? Maybe this isn't something that happens anymore but I'm pretty sure that when Earl Weaver platooned guys like Gary Roenicke and John Lowenstein, he was pretty quick to pinch hit with whichever guy didn't start whenever the starter had to face a pitcher of the same hand as the batter. How does one do this in OOTP? How does one get the AI to recognize a simple lefty/righty platoon system? Does this not happen anymore in MLB? Don't teams like the RedSox who I'm pretty sure have used a platoon system at first base with Moreland and a righty (Pearce, Ramirez, etc), still pinch hit for Moreland late in games when he's facing a lefty? How does one tell the AI to always, or at least try to always, pinch hit for your lefty platoon guy when he's facing a lefty reliever late in a close ball game?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote