View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

As reported on here in this sub-folder, the W.P. Kinsella League.
It started as a pretty vanilla creation- my first foray into the fictional side of things- and was based upon the set-up of MLB in 1965 (my birth year) but with totally fictional teams and players. Instead of the A.L. and N.L. the WPK has the Shoeless Joe League and the Moonlight Graham League. I GM/Manage the Denver Brewers in the MGL.

My thread about the Brewers here particularly focuses on a player named Ruben "Streak" Souffront, who was/is my first favorite player in the organization. Souffront is a speedy rightfielder with a bat that is developing towards excellence and sterling character. His path thus far has been a bit bumpy but in the current season (1967), the league's and his third, he has started to really blossom and hopefully will provide much to report on for many, many seasons to come.

A few twists I have added to the league: as also reported on in another thread here, I decided I wanted to build in the possibility of current WPK players having relatives (sons, grandsons, cousins, (maybe daughters, granddaughters too someday?,) etc.) who also play professionally in this universe. So I created a process by which relatives are identified and a set of templates for player creation. Many of these won't show up for a great many seasons and if I do it right most won't ever receive more than a cup of coffee at the big league level (if that). But the first created relative did join the WPK this season- the young cousin of a veteran starting pitcher. I think this process will do a great deal to help me get even more invested in these fictional characters and their stories and will be fun to watch unfold over time.
Also, every now and then I add a character from a W.P. Kinsella novel or short story. This is a much more random process and essentially just involves creating a fictional player with no manipulation of ratings on my part and renaming them after the Kinsella character. Probably later today I will be reporting on some recent news involving one of those characters.

I wasn't at all sure that I could become invested in a purely fictional league but now that I have started down that path I can't imagine ever stopping.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote