View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #48
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

May 4th, 1985

In St.Louis facing Joaquin Andujar. We have Terry Mulholland. Seems tough but we are on a bit of a roll right now.

Things started off well as I dropped a single into shallow right. On the second pitch to Chris Brown I swiped my 21st bag of the season. On the 3rd pitch I made in 22 and induced Darrell Porter into a sloppy throw that got past Terry Pendleton. I scored on the error.

We were up 1-0.

I led off again in the 3rd but do not so as well, grounding out harmlessly to Andujar.

In the 4th we lost the lead as Kelly Paris hit one over the right field wall with a man on to put the Cards up 2-1.

In the 5th I came up with two out and nobody on. I hit a grounder to Bill Lyons, deep at 2nd, and outran him for an infield hit. I ran on the second pitch again, but this time they suspected and pitched out. Porter rushed, though, and made a bad throw so I not only picked up my 3rd stolen base of the game, but I also moved up to 3rd on the error. Brown ended up walking and then Chill Davis singled, pushing me a cross to tie the game.

In the 6th Juan Beniquez singled past me. I thought I could reach it but it was just out of range.

In the 7th I came up with one out and Kenny Oberkfell on 2nd. I grounded out to Lyons, moving Kenny up. We couldn't cash him in.

Mark Davis took the mound in the 7th so no W for Terry. The same thing for Andujar as he gave way to Neil Allen in the top of the 8th.

I finally made a play in the 8th when Beniquez smashed one to the same spot as earlier but I was positioned slightly different and snagged the line drive. The announcers called it a sensational play. A couple of batters later I handled a grounder by pinch-hitter Ray Knight to end the inning.

Jeff Lahti took the ball for St.Louis in the 9th and started by plunking Oberkfell. No intention. John Castino pinch hit for Davis and got a productive grounder, moving Kenny to 2nd. I was due up... but despite going 2 for 4 today, Nestor lifted me for Brian Harper.

He struck out.

We won 3-2 in the 11th.

I am hoary we won. I am unhappy that Nestor still doesn't seem to have confidence in me when the chips are down. Is it my age?

We are back to .500 and have won 4 in a row. Tomorrow we have an afternoon game with Atlee Hammaker facing Dave Lapoint.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote