View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
joehart
All Star Starter

One of my sons was complaining about his player additions a while back and it was easily explained....

- Too few opportunities. A single bad game (HR/few walks) will steer the stats towards one direction until they eventually normalize.

- HR hitter playing in .900 parks. Play a series or two back to back and you will quickly have fewer than expected from your power hitter.

- Contact hitters going against stellar infield defense (Cronin/ Boudreax/Aparicio/....).
Those darn elite guys can really keep the score low and hits to a minimum.

- Players going against top part of the rotation of your opponents. Don’t expect to get HRs and BBs when going against Maddux-type players.

- Players with high strikeout rate going against High Stuff pitchers (Gooden/Nolan/Koufax/....). Even Ty Cobb has bad weeks.

- Looking at wrong stats. Trout will have a high WAR by end of year but his stats are not generated from his AVG but instead by walks and power hitting.
Also applies to players that generate their value from top defense.

- Placement of players in the lineup. When is the last time you have checked to make sure it still makes sense? Rotation changes can quickly have the wrong guys in lead-off or at the end of the line (fewer opportunities).

- Right handed batters going against RHPs. Often, they just don’t get enough opportunities and their terrible platoon stats will really drag down the overall stats.
Make sure to look at the stats for “vs Right- handed or vs Left-handed” to make sure players like Robert Clemente don’t look worse than they really are.

- PT20 left handed batters hitting into the shift (extreme pull). This may need a bit more statistical data since it was not applying to all my players when I checked.

- Choice of player selection. Just because he is rated higher or a Diamond/Perfect card does not make him a good addition.
Adding a diamond player with low contact will almost always spell disaster.

But to go back to the original comment, I have seen bad additions and great additions for almost all levels.
If there is a tendency for one to do better than the other it is almost always explained using one of the explanations above.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote