View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #12
BeanSobie
Minors (Triple A)

Wesley Metheny

CF Carson Jackson was the first call up to Everett from our team. He was leading off for us before Rosa got sent down, after that he began batting 5th. It didn’t surprise us one bit to see him get promoted, he hit 5 times in his first game. Another game he went 4 for 4 with two walks. He was a good on-base guy and it is clear that that was being rewarded.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed a full two games at DH before being given two games off. 'Not going to affect your time' my ass. I went 3 for 8 with 1 run and added my first steal of the season in those two games. During fielding practice I was grouped with the outfielders, Zac must have been tipped off that Carson was going to get the call up because they started grooming me to be his successor in center field. I was glad to see some consistent at bats again, but I was mostly happy because it meant I wouldn’t be blocking those at bats from two of my better friends on the team, Gareth Morgan and Luke Miller. The three of us were pretty excited to be out there together; our fourth, Austin Filiere, not so much.

“Blood traitor.” Filly beckoned at me as we jogged to the dugout one game.

I kept jogging with a smile. Filly was not taking a liking to play with Rosa. In truth he was a better fielder than either of us. Austin was the type of guy to decide day one if he liked you or not. He did not like Rosa for whatever reason. To me he was a nice kid, 20 years old and already a three year pro. He started his second year in High-A but got demoted back to the Arizona League eventually, he was in Single-A this year before going to Low-A and now back in Peoria again. You wouldn’t know it to look at him, he’s always got a smile on and is just happy to be playing the game.

I’ve got two years on him, and we are in the same league. He has me beat in pro experience by two years, and is still two years younger than me. I’m effectively four years behind this guy if you look at it that way. That sort of thing gets your mind wandering, and not in a good way.