View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
BeanSobie
Minors (Triple A)

Wesley Metheny

Nick Feight is a curious little fellow. Nick looks, talks, and runs like a catcher. Coming from a family of catchers I mean that in the kindest way possible. Although he went in the 11th round of our draft he could be the biggest hit or miss prospect from the Mariners draft.

His potential rests squarely on his power numbers. When you are around baseball long enough you can tell by the way someone looks what type of hitter they will become; or maybe can become. 5’10 200 lb. Feight has the makings of a guy who could hit 20 home runs in the Majors at some point in his career; his problem is that the way he uses his body right now he couldn’t hit 20 home runs in Single-A.

Defensively we are probably equivalent, but remember that I was chased away from playing the position. Getting on base does not come easily to him either. If his power numbers don’t pan out he will toil in the minors. The good news for the Seattle Mariners is that nobody on this team cares more about getting themselves better at their craft than Nick. He’s one of those “My body is a temple” types. So you can imagine his reaction when he realized that the four guys batting in front of him for the day were counting their beers from the night before in the clubhouse.

To Nick’s credit, the four of us (Gareth, Luke, me and Austin) played like crap. Our first three batters got on base in the 1st before Gareth hit into a double play and Luke struck out. None of us got a hit until Austin and I singled back to back at the top of the 4th (after our drinking buddies went down in order to lead off the inning). Nick pulled a liner just inside the pole to bring us home, but he was not in the mood to celebrate when he finished running the bases.

Things came to a head in the bottom of the 8th. Their lead-off man got on base with a single. A botched bunt popup kept the runner on first and got the first out. Then a bouncer to short could have retired the inning but the ball just dropped out of Austin’s hand. 3 runs later they had a 4 run lead going into the 9th, we would score once more but came up short 5-8.

Winning these games does not matter in the grand scheme of things, but you couldn’t tell Nick that. Needless to say we stayed away from the bar that night.

Last edited by BeanSobie; 05-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
BeanSobie is offline   Reply With Quote