View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
BeanSobie
Minors (Triple A)

Wesley Metheny

I don’t know what I was expecting to be doing on my draft day. Last year Chad Donato, a teammate at West Virginia, was watching with his family huddled around a computer as he got take eleventh overall. Chad had a feeling he could be going to his hometown team, and he comes from a big family so it made sense that he would spend it like that.

I spent my day helping move Scott out of his dorm and into the “Baseball House”. I never lived in the baseball house, I weirdly loved that dorm life. Coming home from class or practice and a large group of 15+ people just hanging out. If I wanted to join them I could, but I wasn’t obligated to either. At the baseball house you always have to “be on”, someone is always in the living room and you get self conscious holding up in your room when a party is going on downstairs. I’m not built for that.

I left my phone in the living room table. Every time it would vibrate with a text Scott would turn his attention to it. We were carrying Scott's bed frame up the stairs when a text caught Scott’s attention and he nearly dropped the frame on his foot.

“Will you stop that?” I snapped.

“That could be your future manager trying to talk to you. Are you just going to ignore him?"

“If it were a scout they would be calling me not sending a text.”

“You don’t know that.” I went to protest more, but the phone started ringing. “Well?”

Putting down the frame I made my way to the phone. The caller ID read a familiar name. “It’s just Pap. He’s probably having trouble pulling up the online stream.” Pap was surely at home fiddling with his computer. Back in 1993 he wasn’t able to experience Dad’s draft in real time, so this had him excited. “Hey Pap.”

“Seattle Mariners. Round Eight.”

Last edited by BeanSobie; 04-29-2019 at 05:24 PM.
BeanSobie is offline   Reply With Quote