View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
BeanSobie
Minors (Triple A)

Wesley Metheny

It was the end of my junior season in high school when my coach told me he wanted me to spend my time off focusing on learning third base. The reason he gave me was threefold. Number One: I had too good of legs to be risking them with a potential career playing catcher. I am not just catcher fast, I am baseball fast. Number Two: If I wanted to go pro it would be good idea to diversify my skill set. And, Number Three: Scott had just finished freshman ball and was far and away a better catcher than me.

Scott is the festive brother. He partied the most in school. He had the most friends. Scott is a people pleaser, and with that comes an ability to talk to and make connections with people. Conversely, I like to just get at whatever work I am doing and not be bothered. A catcher is relied upon to build a report with a pitching staff and at the end of the day Scott was much better suited for that than I was.

So senior year came and went at third base. I really grew into the position and enjoyed throwing runners out no matter where I was on the field, so it worked for everyone. I would lead off and Scott batted behind me. It was a special year getting to play with him.

In college I spent a lot of my freshman year being coached at outfield and shortstop. Coach Mazey wanted me to be a jackknife like defender. I rotated into every position except pitcher and first base over the next three years before getting to play most of my draft year at third.

Talking with a few scouts the general consensus is that I will play a lot of different positions in the minors and if I make it up to AA the team will slot me in at a position of need. But second base is where I would likely have the most potential. I never quite mastered shortstop, but I got half decent at turning double plays. At third base I would only ever have an average arm, but at second base it could be a bonus. If I was groomed as an outfielder I would likely be a corner, but at least two scouts have told me I have “emergency center fielder qualities”.