View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
DFyvie
Major Leagues

San Jose Sharks - A teal and black odyssey

Pro Hockey Comes to the Bay Area
8/25/1990 12.35 PST

The NHL announced this morning, at a press conference in City Hall, that there will be pro hockey in the bay area as soon as 1991. Local billionaire Mike McKeown, of McKeown Chemicals, heads up the small ownership group out of San Fransisco.

Eager to get started, the new owner has already begun shortlisting candidates to take over his team. “We’ve consulted experts and existing league executives as to whom we should contact.” explained McKeown. “We want someone young and full of fresh ideas. Expansion is a difficult journey and sometimes it is best to find someone who can grow with the team.”

The team, not named as of yet, will take up residence in the Cow Palace to begin the season in 1991. A more permanent home for the team is currently being planned and should be able to host the team in a few more years.

Former bay-area pro hockey star Dennis Maruk, who holds the California Seals goal scoring record, was on hand to give his assessment. “I was just a young rookie when I played here last. It was an exciting time and it’s too bad that (the team) didn’t have more success. I hope this new group has more success then we did”.

Maruk spent only one season with the Seals before moving on with the team to Cleveland and later Minnesota. “A lot of things were up in the air at that time. I think hockey was still too new for the Bay Area and also for Cleveland. We were lucky to find a home in Minnesota.”

When asked what advice he could give to the new owner and pending new General Manager, Maruk said that the new team had to make Hockey fun. “You have to bring a great product to the rink every night, wether that be with goals, hits or fights”.

The addition of a new team will significantly affect division alignment and travel times for other teams in the league and the area. LA Kings newly acquired superstar Wayne Gretzky commented “It is exciting to welcome another team to California. Having another franchise in the same time-zone has so many positives for the players, other teams and the state of hockey as a whole”.

The new General Manager, Coach, and staff will be announced in the coming months, with a new team name and logo.
Attached Images
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote