View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #167
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 11, 1985

In the middle of another round of meetings, I’m asked to step away and field a call. It’s Richie Bry; was Angel Gomez right?

“Rickey’s on board. Nine years with the two options. $20 million total. Phillies pinstripes.”

I guess Angel was right.

The celebration begins. We break out the good liquor.

SIGNED

CF Rickey Henderson - 9 years, $20 million (two option years)

We’re talking about Henderson’s legacy being built in Philadelphia. If he makes the hall of fame, maybe he wears the Phillies “P” on his plaque. He’s signed through at least 1992, and maybe until 1994. That means once we’re past 1989, he potentially becomes the franchise player. A tremendous moment. We’re thinking long-term as much as we are thinking short-tem. It’s a proud day for us.

Meanwhile, catcher Terry Kennedy signs with the Yankees for four years and $4.52 million. Seems a bit much.

For dinner, I take out the crew for a celebratory meal. Jayson Stark knows where I am and wants a quote, but I let him know that this time, we’re still unofficial. Rickey’s physical is set for the morning, and then we hope to arrange a press conference. “Don’t worry. If I’m ready to give a quote, you’ll be first on my list,” I tell him.

Dec. 12, 1985

Rickey Henderson passes his physical in the morning, and we call the press conference for Friday (tomorrow) morning. I decline to give quotes as my name, but “rival scouts” don’t mind putting in their two cents:

“If Rickey’s speed stays with him, this is a potential steal by Philly.”

“With Rickey, Samuel, UL Washington, Molitor, and Von Hayes, we’re talking about maybe the fastest team this game has ever seen.”

Jayson Stark’s story in the Inquirer goes in depth on “an organization hellbent on terrorizing opposing pitchers and catchers.”

Late at night, Rickey’s flight arrives at Philadelphia International Airport. We greet him, his family, and agent Richie Bry, ensure he’s off to a hotel, and prepare the stadium for a press conference.

Dec. 13, 1985

Now age 43, Ron Reed signs with the Yankees for one year and $236K. We thought maybe he’d retire after an up-and-down, injury-plagued season, but nope.

Meanwhile, we have the press conference. Rickey fields questions about what he hopes his legacy will be in Philadelphia (“I want to be one of the greatest here, and that’s gonna happen.”), why the Phillies were his choice (“they want to win every year”), and what he feels about the team this year (“Rickey expects nothing less than highlights.”).

And I’m asked about why Rickey, why now: “Because we’re looking at now and later, and there’s no doubt Rickey Henderson checks all the boxes. He’s the present and the future of this ballclub.”

After the conference, we give the Henderson family a tour of the facilities. Later, it’s a nice dinner out. Rickey buys us a round: “Rickey’s got more money than all of you fools,” he laughs. It’s a good time to be alive.

Dec. 14, 1985

All the stories are out today, including opinion pieces claiming we might be the favorite in the National League. Sports Illustrated is hoping to come out to visit over spring training. I have a relaxing Saturday at home.

Dec. 15, 1985

And a relaxing Sunday at home. Not a lot of movement in the market, so we’re still just hanging around and waiting.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote