View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #52
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Nov. 1, 1984

Welcome to the 1985 First-Year Player Draft.

(Note: I'm calling this the 1985 Draft (or the December 1984 Draft), though the following players were actually drafted in June 1985.)

Huge day. I fully expect the Texas Rangers to pick Barry Bonds with 1-1. I can see Mike Stanley, Will Clark, BJ Surhoff, Barry Larkin, Roberto Alomar, and Odibe McDowell going after him before I pick at 1-10. After that it’s anyone’s guess. I could end up with my lone top-10 pitcher, Randy Johnson, or find myself looking at Gregg Jefferies, Rafael Palmeiro, or Brady Anderson. My board says Jefferies, but he won’t be an impact for a while.

We have 35 rounds this year. Let’s do it.

Round 1

1. Texas - CF Barry Bonds
2. Baltimore - C Mike Stanley
3. Oakland - LF Rafael Palmeiro

First shocker of the draft, with Oakland going for the slugger to team up with Jose Canseco and last year’s first-rounder, Mark McGwire. The A’s love power.

4. California - 1B Will Clark
5. Houston - SS Barry Larkin
6. Chicago Cubs - CF Odibe McDowell
7. San Francisco - C BJ Surhoff
8. Milwaukee - SS Roberto Alomar

Here’s where the draft can turn quite a bit.

9. Atlanta - C Mike Macfarlane

I didn’t have him on my board because I wasn’t high on him, but Atlanta sure liked him.

I’m on the clock.

My board is telling me to get Gregg Jefferies, and trailing him are Brady Anderson and Randy Johnson. Anderson is right down my pipe, a Von Hayes clone, the guy I like. Great speed and eye, and everything else is on its way. OK defensive right fielder but needs work. Jefferies is a $500K commitment and a high schooler - nothing guaranteed - but he could be better than Anderson with more speed and contact. Johnson is nearly $500K and injury-prone. Also a pitcher. A reach. Anderson is the safer move, but Jefferies is just calling me. We do our final run-through as the clock ticks, and the team agrees on a pick. Bill Giles signs off.

10. Phillies - SS - Gregg Jefferies

Anderson goes next to Cleveland.

As we proceed, Oakland nabs Chris Jelic (my No. 10) in the second round. Damn. But Blaise Ilsley (my No. 12) falls to pick 36, and I’m giddy. I think this kid has ace talent. My scouting director likes Philly product John Marzano, but I don’t see it. We take a vote, and he’s singled out.

36. Phillies - LHP - Blaise Ilsley

We’re rejoicing in the war room, and even the scouting director joins in. Still, “You’re gonna regret not gettin’ Johnny, he’s BOOK-smart.” A few picks later, Marzano goes to Boston.

Meanwhile, Toronto gets Jeff Carter, another tough one for us, as we thought he’d fall to the third round, at least. Craig Worthington and Chris Knabenshue also get selected. But at 62, it looks like our No. 28, Aubrey Waggoner, is available. Let’s do it.

62. Phillies - CF/LF/RF - Aubrey Waggoner

Two high school bats already. We’re surprised, but that’s our board. Back around to 88, and Billy Bates is out there. We lock in.

88. Phillies - 2B - Billy Bates

Coming back around, and our top-40 is gone. That brings us to Steve Gasser, who we can imagine falling a few rounds, but at the same time, some team might just snag him. We love him, and when you love a guy ...

114. Phillies - RHP - Steve Gasser

That’s three high schoolers so far, and we’re just stunned. And as we come back around, our next guy happens to be a high schooler. Alright then.

140. Phillies - 2B/3B/SS - Chris Lombardozzi

Jeff Ballard is out there, but we’re thinking about a college bat right now. We like Bill Geivett, an infielder with plus speed and plus eye. Of course.

166. Phillies - 3B/2B - Bill Geivett

We’re close to taking a chance on Tom Cantrell, but I’d rather wait one round, if we can.

192. Phillies - LHP - Jeff Ballard

Well, the Rangers picked up Tom Cantrell to lead off round 9. Makes sense. Flavio Alfaro is out there, but my scouts want me to grab a 22-year-old lefty reliever with good stuff. I’ll throw a bone.

218. Phillies - LHP - Ed Merklen

From here on, the rest of the picks:

244. Phillies - C/CF/3B - Linton Dyer
270. Phillies - RF/CF - Bernie Anderson
296. Phillies - LHP - Zach Crouch
322. Phillies - 2B/SS - Flavio Alfaro
348. Phillies - RF - Tom Eccleston
374. Phillies - C - Rob Thomson
400. Phillies - SS - Neder Horta
426. Phillies - RHP - Mike Carista
452. Phillies - 3B - Carlo Colombino
478. Phillies - SS/3B - Scott Gray
504. Phillies - SS - Glenn Fairchild
530. Phillies - RHP - Paul Abbott
556. Phillies - RHP - David Blakley
582. Phillies - RHP - Roger Huff
608. Phillies - 1B/C - Anthony Buglione
634. Phillies - C - Robert Canepa
660. Phillies - RHP - Steve Searcy
686. Phillies - RHP - Darren Pearson
712. Phillies - 2B/SS/3B - Ray Crone
738. Phillies - RHP - Bob Tabeling
764. Phillies - LF - Johnny Celis
790. Phillies - LF/RF - Carmelo Green
816. Phillies - CF - John Van Ahnen
842. Phillies - LHP - Ken Patterson
868. Phillies - RHP - Kevin Nelson
894. Phillies - CF/1B/RF - Mark Ban

Negotiation shouldn’t be hard; by taking Ilsley at the $207K slot, we’re saving about $83K, which will go toward Jefferies’ demand, and we should be able to meet his $500K. Down the draft, Crouch and Nelson want big pay days. I don’t forsee either happening.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote