View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #47
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Oct. 15, 1984

The offseason has begun. And we have a lot to get through.

First, Bill Giles extended my contract: three years and $75,000 per season. That gets me through 1987, which is an invisible target for me to win a National League pennant. Meanwhile, I have new goals:
  • Play close to .500 ball (by 1985)
  • Build a top-five minor league system (by 1987)
  • Build a team that can bring a championship home in the next three seasons (by 1987)
  • Bring more of your drafted players to your team (by 1988)

That’s far different from the original goals Giles set for me. This is basically “rebuild.” With this in mind, I won’t go nuts with trades, instead targeting players who I think can be decent (or good!) upgrades, while building up my farm system. No organizational-hurting moves.

Not only that, but the team focus is “rebuild.” I have an $18 million budget for 1985, giving me about $6 million for free agents. That certainly gives me some room to work, and I’m confident I can field a good team next season while still keeping focus on the farm.

Oct. 16, 1984

Around the league, big news: Dick Howser was axed in Kansas City. He immediately becomes a candidate in my managerial search, though he doesn’t necessarily believe in the things I want. The Giants also let go of Frank Robinson, who is all about power and offense, so again, not the speed and defense guy I want. But also again, a candidate.

As for my roster, Tug McGraw has vested, meaning he’ll be paid $380K to pitch for me in 1985.

And finally, a message that a Phillies player is retiring … Garry Maddox. The 35-year-old finishes with 1,701 lifetime hits and a .284 average, plus 244 steals and 108 home runs. Defensively, he was exceptional. His final career WAR: 28.6. Thanks, Secretary.

Maddox said he may be interested in joining the broadcast booth. Interesting proposition.

Oct. 17, 1984

Had a night to think more about Bill Giles’ goals. The big thing is to have a top-five farm system, and he’s looking at the list that’s published annually. That list rewards teams with high-level prospects (and not necessarily depth); so, essentially, I need to draft or acquire a few top-25 prospects. He also wants me to draft good players who will reach the majors. I can do both, and they can be the same thing, possibly. Of course, the worse I fare in the season, the better the draft picks afterward.

So what do I do? Tank for better draft position while selling my top-value players (John Denny, Juan Samuel, Von Hayes, Charles Hudson, maybe Mike Schmidt) for prospects? I think that’s foolish with this group; while I’m not against selling for prospects, this isn’t the right group for that. I already have a solid number of young, exciting players just entering their primes. I need to creatively work the margins to improve my team for 1985 (get to .500 and hopefully beyond) while keeping a strong eye at developing youth.

Finally today, I was informed that Mike Schmidt attended a leadership seminar last week. “I want to be able to more effectively pass down the knowledge I’ve obtained to the younger guys, so we all get to see some better ball.” Hear, hear, Mike.

Oct. 18, 1984

Geoff Zubal, GM of the Reds, called me this morning, proposing to trade me Cesar Cedeno for Darren Daulton and Don Carman. I laughed in his face.

Also, Inquirer writer Jayson Stark made his award picks for the league today. Gave Juan Samuel a sixth-place MVP vote, plus a 2B Silver Slugger. Also put down Mike Schmidt as his 3B Silver Slugger (no real competition this year), and why not, gave Charles Hudson a fifth-place Cy Young vote.

Oct. 19, 1984

Some new scouting intel has come in. Big findings:
  • Mike Schmidt is now a 67/67, down from a 74/74, and suddenly is a better defensive first baseman (60) than third baseman (55).
  • Darren Daulton’s overall and potential dropped; he’s now a 45/63.
  • Juan Samuel’s ratings somehow dropped; he’s now a 46/47.
  • Good news in CF: Von Hayes is now a 45 there, with 60 OF range.
  • Rick Reuschel is a riser (now at 49/49 with plus movement and control).
  • Kevin Gross also rises with 60/60 movement and 47/49 overall and potential.

I don’t buy too hard into fluctuating ratings, but Schmidt’s dropoff is alarming, especially at third base. Maybe I have to be in the Paul Molitor sweepstakes, after all.

Meanwhile, I have a few players in arbitration:
  • RP Dave Wehrmeister - 31 - 31/31
  • RP Steve Mura - 29 - 35/35
  • 1B Len Matuszek - 30 - 43/43
  • CF/LF/RF/1B Von Hayes - 26 - 57/57
  • RF Joe Lefebvre - 28 - 35/35
  • RF/CF Dave Stegman - 30 - 39/39

I’ll tender contracts to Matuszek, Lefebvre and Stegman and am considering an extension for Hayes. Meanwhile, SP Rick Reuschel (35, 49/49) is a free agent with Type B compensation attached to him; I think I’ll offer him the $287.5K arbitration. If he accepts, I have a fifth starter (before going out and potentially signing a better starter), and if he declines, I get an additional draft pick in December '85.

Minor league free agents include LF Bruce Fields (who suddenly is just a 50 in LF, sheesh) and C Mike Ibarra. Will probably bring back Fields (though he wants a major league deal) because I need to show more from that Sixto Lezcano trade.

Offered contracts:
  • 1B Len Matuszek - $95,000 (declined)
  • RF Joe Lefebvre -$99,000 (declined)
  • RF/CF Dave Stegman - $100,000 (declined)

Matuszek and Lefebvre are off a little right now, and considering both have declined, I’m not chomping at the bit to come to terms right away. Stegman? He doesn’t want to talk contracts. Whoa.

With Hayes, I’m willing to go $345K in arbitration. He wants $404K for one year in a guaranteed deal, but I’d like to go into 1987, maybe ‘88 with a deal, as his final arb year is 1986. I’d start with a four-year extension.

The Lonnie Smith contract (three years, $2.05M) and Willie Randolph deal (four years, $2.7M) are templates for me. Hayes deserves more than Smith, but if I can sign him for under Randolph’s number, I feel good.

I call Hayes' agent, who's local, and say I want to talk extension. He wants to know what I'm thinking, so I start with my low-ball offer of $1.79M.
  • 1985 - $350K
  • 1986 - $425K
  • 1987 - $480K
  • 1988 - $535K

The agent says that won't cut it, so I ask for dinner or drinks. He wants a steak. Very well then.

At dinner, I talk about how much I love Von, how I think he's a potential MVP candidate. The agent says Von wants to stay in Philly - great news. It's a good dinner, ending with some napkin math (for show) and this down-the-middle offer.
  • 1985 - $450K
  • 1986 - $520K
  • 1987 - $570K
  • 1988 - $620K

That’s four years and $2.16M, right in the spot between Smith and Randolph.

Hayes’ agent says it’s fair and will talk to Von. Sounds good to me.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote