View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #46
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Oct. 3, 1984

Last night in the NLCS, Pittsburgh took a 1-0 lead over Los Angeles, thanks to speedster Joe Orsulak (3 RBI).

Found out today that John Wockenfuss is retiring. The 35-year-old didn’t exactly perform well in AAA Portland (.225/.281/.319), and his usage seemed to have outlived him. See ya, Johnny. Great trade, Giles.

That reminds me: His trades were bad (so far). I came in after he picked up Wockenfuss and Glenn Wilson for Detroit - neither performed well for me. Meanwhile, RP Willie Hernandez put up a 1.18 ERA in 68.2 innings for the Tigers.

That said, Hernandez blows it in the ninth for the Tigers in game one against Seattle. The Mariners are up 1-0 by stealing a big one at Tiger Stadium. And tonight, Pittsburgh moves up 2-0 over the Dodgers as Lee Mazzilli knocks home Jim Morrison with a single in the ninth.

Oct. 4, 1984

A second-straight blown loss for Hernandez! The Mariners are up 2-0 with another 3-2 win! Feisty M’s!

Oct. 5, 1984

More bullpen blow-ups in the playoffs, as the Dodgers get one after a two-run ninth at home. Series between Pittsburgh and LA is at 2-1 Buccos.

Oct. 6, 1984

Bobby Grich has expressed wanting out of California. He’s a 1B first, hitting .259/.372/.402 last season. He’s also a free agent after 1985. I’m intrigued, as I’m looking into potential upgrades at 1B, plus in the outfield, at SS, SP, and RP.

The Mariners are incredible! Seattle beats Detroit 3-1 at Kingdome, as Matt Young goes 8.2 innings, giving up just two hits and two walks against an awesome Tigers lineup. And the Pirates go up 3-1 on the Dodgers after an 11-1 win at Dodger Stadium. We’re a day away from seeing a Mariners vs Pirates World Series in 1984.

Oct. 7, 1984

24-year-old Mark Langston hurls a four-hit shutout against Detroit to win the Seattle Mariners its first American League pennant. The upstart M’s win 2-0 and sweep the mighty, 108-win Tigers. Langston wins series MVP.

Over in the National League, the Pirates take the flag after a 5-0 win over the Dodgers. Jose DeLeon pitches awesomely, striking out nine in eight innings, and Lee Lacy strikes three hits en route to being named series MVP.

Oct. 8, 1984

Seattle Mariners vs. Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1984 World Series. It starts tomorrow.

Oct. 9, 1984

The Pirates beat the Mariners, 7-1, in Game 1 of the World Series. John Candelaria goes all nine, striking out nine, while Eddie Vargas and Johnny Ray slam home runs.

Oct. 10, 1984

The Pirates are up 2-0 after taking down the Mariners, 4-1, in an extra-inning classic at Kingdome. Tied 1-1 through most of the game, it goes to the 13th, when Jason Thompson hits a three-run home run off Dave Geisel.

Oct. 11, 1984

Day off.

Oct. 12, 1984

The Mariners get one back, taking down the Pirates 2-1. The key hit: a Spike Owen triple off Kent Tekulve in the ninth to give Seattle the lead.

Oct. 13, 1984

The Pirates are a win away from a sixth world championship after beating the Mariners 3-0 at Three Rivers Stadium. Larry McWilliams goes 7.1 innings and gives up just five hits and two walks, while Jason Thomspon hits a two-run homer, and that's all they need. John Candelaria goes for them tonight to clinch the series.

Oct. 14, 1984

And there it is: The Pittsburgh Pirates win the 1984 World Series after beating the Mariners, 6-2, at Three Rivers Stadium. Jason Thompson wins the MVP award, hitting a third-inning home run that basically puts the game away.

Last edited by The_Myth; 08-06-2019 at 11:53 PM.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote